Safety Precautions for Yacht Showings
Although showing boats is not ideal during the COVID-19 era, we have compiled a list of precautions to follow to ensure minimal interaction with others and to minimize the possibility of spreading the virus.
- Organize your showing well in advance. By notifying the listing broker in advance, crew on the vessel can prepare for a showing by additionally sanitizing the surfaces on the boat. These yachts are normally kept in pristine condition, but additional attention to sanitizing should be taken as we all do our part to contain the spread of COVID-19.
- Minimize the number of people viewing the boat. It goes without saying that the fewer number of people included in the viewing party, the better. Crew on the vessel should leave the yacht if possible so that only 1-2 people are on board from the listing side. Similarly, the buying side should be limited to 1-2 people as well.
- Wear personal protection. You should wear a mask and gloves. Remove and properly discard the gloves after you have left the boat, so that you do not carry the potential virus with you after you have left.
- When onboard, limit what you touch. Be specifically aware not to touch handles and railings, as these are high-traffic areas for others to touch.
- Do not sit on the furniture or beds onboard. Again, it’s important to limit what you touch onboard the yacht.
- Maintain proper spacing between people. All parties should not crowd into one room on the yacht, as this will put them into close contact with each other. If you have questions about the boat, ask them in an area that will allow the conversation to take place with greater distance between everyone.
- If you are not feeling well, wait. No one will question your decision to postpone a viewing right now. In fact, all parties involved will be grateful that you’ve been honest and want to do the right thing to protect everyone by staying home.
- Consider viewing the boat through facetime or a similar app. Although it won’t give you a complete feel for the boat, a virtual viewing can help buyers know which boats to eliminate or which boats are still very interesting to them without risking their health or the health of others.
By following the guidelines outlined above, we are able to minimize the ability for the virus to spread and keep yacht showings as safe as possible.